Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How do you measure the life in a year?

For me the past few days have been awash with emotion.  It has really made me think about life in general.

I spent Friday with a cousin who is battling breast cancer.  Every second of her life is precious.  She is a fighter and wants to live but something is taking her life away cell by cell. 

On Saturday I witnessed a traumatic event, a traffic accident in which a life was lost.  I was jamming out to my RENT CD and was living life while someone else's life had just ended.  As soon as I saw what happened, I instantly started bawling.  How fortunate I was to keep on going.  My day totally changed from there. 

Later that same day I visited the cemetery where my maternal grandparents are buried.  This time I felt different.  I normally cry when I go there but this time I didn't shed a tear.  There was kind of a calmness about me.  Even though I was young when they passed away, I always felt like I was robbed of time with them.  That has seemed to disappear on Saturday.  

Then on Sunday I attended a visitation, followed by a funeral on Monday.  It brought back emotions that I went through when my paternal grandparents died a mere two years ago.  I know how it felt to lose someone.  Even though a life was lived to its fullest, it is still a loss and is hard to get over. 

All of these things involve death/dying in some way, shape, or form.  Death binds us all together.  At some point we will all die but before dying is living and loving.  When you look back on your life, can you really measure your life in a year?  Life can't be measured.  Yes, we have years but is that really an indicator as to how much life we've lived?  Love can't be measured.  There is no quantity to love.  Can we ever really love or be loved enough though? 

Tonight I felt the love.  Tonight I felt the life.  As we sang, as we huddled around a garbage can, as we hugged each other, as we cried, as we got angry, as we were contemplative...  We poured our hearts and souls into tonight's rehearsal.  We lived and we loved our community. 

1 comment: